Dr Sarah Thompson
MD FRCSC FRACS
Discipline of Surgery
Level 5, Eleanor Harrald Building
Royal Adelaide Hospital
Ph: +61 8 8222 5516
Fax: +61 8 8222 5896
• Surgical Consultant, Oesophago Gastric Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital
• Senior Clinical Lecturer, University of Adelaide
• Candidate, Doctor of Philosophy (Surgery), University of Adelaide [in progress]
• Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
• Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
• Foundation Member, Australia and New Zealand Gastric and Oesophageal Surgery Association (ANZGOSA)
• Fellow, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
• Member, Australasian Gastro-Intestinal Trials Group (AGITG)
• Chair, State-wide Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer Multidisciplinary Meeting
• Tutor, Short course programme, SA/NT Regional Board in General Surgery, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
• Clinical Instructor, Medical student IVth year surgical program, University of Adelaide
• Chair of Statewide Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer Multidisciplinary Meeting
• Oesophageal and gastric cancer
• Laparoscopic benign oesophageal surgery, including revisional laparoscopic fundoplication, laparoscopic myotomy, and laparoscopic large hiatus hernia repair
• Minimally invasive surgery, including laparoscopic adrenalectomy
• Oesophageal cancer
• Laparoscopic fundoplication
• Laparoscopic adrenalectomy
• Refer to recent publications
• Thompson SK, Ruszkiewicz AR, Jamieson GG, Sullivan TR, Devitt PG. Isolated tumor cells in esophageal cancer: implications for the surgeon and the pathologist. Ann Surg (manuscript submitted for peer review).
• Beumer JD, Devitt PG, Thompson SK. Intramural oesophageal dissection. ANZ J Surg (accepted Aug 2009).
• Tsunoda S, Jamieson GG, Watson DI, Devitt PG, Thompson SK. Early reoperation after laparoscopic fundoplication: the importance of routine postoperative contrast studies. World J Surg 2009; (in press).
• Yong ELC, Han XP, Watson DI, Jamieson GG, Devitt PG, Thompson SK. Outcome following surgery for squamous cell carcinoma of the oesophagus. ANZ J Surg 2009; (in press).
• Mohamed MA, Leung JC, Game PA, Thompson SK. Post-partum pneumoperitoneum: not a surgical emergency. ANZ J Obstet Gynaecol 2009; (in press).
• Zingg U, DiValentino D, McQuinn A, Mardzuki A, Thompson SK, Karapetis C, Watson DI. Outcome for esophageal cancer following treatment with chemotherapy and radiotherapy. ANZ J Surg 2009; (in press).
• Hamer PW, Rees GL, Devitt PG, Jamieson GG, Thompson SK. Bilateral recurrent laryngeal nerve palsy after Ivor-Lewis oesophagectomy. ANZ J Surg 2009; (in press).
• Morris TC, Devitt PG, Thompson SK. Laparoscopic duodenojejunostomy for superior mesenteric artery syndrome: how I do it. J Gastrointest Surg 2009; Apr 9 [Epub ahead of print].
• Jamieson GG, Lamb PJ, Thompson SK. The role of lymphadenectomy in esophageal cancer. Ann Surg 2009; 250: 206-9.
• Lamb PJ, Myers JC, Jamieson GG, Thompson SK, Devitt PG, Watson DI. Long-term outcomes of revisional surgery following laparoscopic fundoplication. Br J Surg 2009; 96: 391-7.
• Zingg U, McQuinn A, DiValentino D, Esterman AJ, Bessell JR, Thompson SK, Jamieson GG, Watson DI. Minimally invasive versus open esophagectomy for patients with esophageal cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 87: 911-9.
• Jamieson GG, Thompson SK. Detection of lymph nodes metastases in oesophageal cancer. Br J Surg 2009; 96: 21-5.
• Zingg U, Langton C, Addison B, Wijnhoven BP, Forberger J, Thompson SK, Esterman AJ, Watson DI. Risk prediction scores for postoperative mortality after esophagectomy: validation of different models. J Gastrointest Surg 2009; 13: 611-8.
• Lamb PJ, Myers JC, Thompson SK, Jamieson GG. Laparoscopic fundoplication in patients with a hypertensive lower esophageal sphincter. J Gastrointest Surg 2009; 13: 61-5.
• Thompson SK, Cai W, Jamieson GG Zhang AY, Myers JC, Parr ZE, Watson DI, Persson J, Holtmann G, Devitt PG. Recurrent symptoms after fundoplication with a negative pH study – recurrent reflux or functional heartburn? J Gastrointest Surg 2009; 13: 54-60.
• Thompson SK, Ruszkiewicz AR, Jamieson GG, Esterman A, Wijnhoven BPL, Devitt PG, Watson DI. Improving the accuracy of TNM staging in esophageal cancer: a pathological review of resected specimens. Ann Surg Oncol 2008; 15: 3447-58.
• Zhang AY, Thompson SK, Game PA, Allin JJ. Images for Surgeons. Cystic teratoma of the pancreas: a rare entity. ANZ J Surg 2008; 78: 1130-1.
• Coakley BA, Deveney CW, Spight DH, Thompson SK, Le D, Jobe BA, Wolfe BM, McConnell DB, O’Rourke RW. Revisional bariatric surgery for failed restrictive procedures. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2008; 4: 581-6.
• International Surgical Week, Adelaide, September 2009. Tsunoda S, Jamieson GG, Watson DI, Devitt PG, Thompson SK. Early reoperation after laparoscopic fundoplication: the risk according to the indication for surgery and the role of routine postoperative contrast studies.
• Australasian Gastro-Intestinal Trials Group (AGITG) 11th Annual Scientific Meeting, Brisbane, August 2009. Getting the most out of the pathology.
• International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus - Australasian Section (ISDE-AS), Queensland, February 2009. Caustic injuries to the oesophagus. Acute phase: surgical resection.
• South Australian Oesophageal Cancer Support Group, Adelaide, November 2008. Multidisciplinary treatment of oesophageal cancer.
• Australia and New Zealand Gastric and Oesophageal Surgery Association (ANZGOSA) Gastric Cancer Symposium, Sydney, November 2008. Anatomy and lymph node stations.
• SA/NT Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand Section Meeting, Barossa Valley, November 2008. Adrenalectomy: incidental lesions and surgical pitfalls.
• Royal Australasian College of Surgeons SA Section Annual Scientific Meeting, Adelaide, August 2008. Recurrent symptoms after fundoplication with a negative pH study: recurrent reflux or functional heartburn?
• 16th Seminars in Operative Surgery Oesophageal Structure and Function in Health and Disease Course, Adelaide, March 2008. The cardia: the beginning of the end (of the oesophagus) or the end of the beginning (of intestinal metaplasia)?
• RAH/IMVS Research Committee. SK Thompson, GG Jamieson, AR Ruszkiewicz, DI Watson, PG Devitt, PA Game. “Prognostic factors in oesophageal cancer - the importance of malignant cells in lymph nodes”. 2008 $21,712
• SAGES Research Grant. SK Thompson, GG Jamieson, AR Ruszkiewicz, DI Watson, PG Devit. “Prognostic impact of micrometastases in esophageal cancer - applying the sentinel lymph node concept”. 2008 $19,450
• AstraZeneca Research Grant. SK Thompson, GG Jamieson. “Prognostic impact of micrometastases in oesophageal cancer - applying the sentinel lymph node concept”. 2008 $11,000