The BetterStart group publish in the highest quality peer-reviewed journals in epidemiology, paediatrics, public health, child development, general medicine, and nutrition.
- Banham D, Karnon J, Densley K and Lynch JW
How much emergency department use by vulnerable populations is potentially preventable?: A period prevalence study of linked public hospital data in South Australia, BMJ Open, 2019; 9(1): doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2018-022845.
- Duszynski KM, Pratt NL, Lynch JW, Berry JG, Gold MS and Vaccine Assessment Using Linked Data Working Group
Use of different combination diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis vaccines does not increase risk of 30-day infant mortality. A population-based linkage cohort study using administrative data from the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register and the National Death Index, Vaccine, 2019; 37(2):280-288.
- Gonzalez-Chica D, Licinio J, Musker M, Wong M, Bowden J, Hay P, Chittleborough C and Stocks N
Bullying and sexual abuse and their association with harmful behaviours, antidepressant use and health-related quality of life in adulthood: a population based study in South Australia, BMC Public Health, 2019; 19(26):doi: 10.1186/s12889-018-6367-8.
- Grieger JA, Grzeskowiak LE, Smithers LG, Bianco-Miotto T, Leemaqz SY, Andraweera P, Poston L, McCowan LM, Kenny LC, Myers J, Walker JJ, Norman RJ, Dekker GA, Roberts CT
Metabolic syndrome and time to pregnancy: a retrospective study of nulliparous women, British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2019 Feb 7. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.15647. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30734474.
- Hsieh DC, Smithers LG, Black M, Lynch JW, Dekker G, Wilkinson C, Stark MJ and Mol BW
Implications of vaginal instrumental delivery for children's school achievement: A population-based linked administrative data study, Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2019 Feb 7. doi: 10.1111/ajo.12952. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30734276.
- Malvaso CG , Delfabbro PH, Day A and Nobes G
Young people under youth justice supervision with varying child protection histories: an analysis of group differences, International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 2019; 63(2):159-178.
- Pearce A, Hope S, Griffiths L, Cortina-Borja M, Chittleborough C and Law C
What if all children achieved WHO recommendations on physical activity? Estimating the impact on socioeconomic inequalities in childhood overweight in the UK Millennium Cohort Study, International Journal of Epidemiology, 2019; 48(1):134-147.
- Sawyer AC, Kaim AL, Reece CE, McDonald D, Le H-N, Clark J, Lynch JW and Sawyer MG
Evaluating the effectiveness of an app-based nurse-moderated program for new mothers with depression and parenting problems (eMums Plus): protocol for a pragmatic randomized controlled trial, JMIR Research Protocols, 2019; 8(1):e11549.
- Schuch HS, Nascimento GG, Peres KG, Mittinty MN, Demarco FF, Correa MB, Gigante DP, Horta BL, Peres MA and Do LG
The controlled direct effect of early life socioeconomic position on periodontitis in a birth cohort, American Journal of Epidemiology, 2019;doi:10.1093/aje/kwz054.
- Amarasena N, Haag D and Peres K
A scoping review of caries risk management protocols in Australia and New Zealand, Australian Dental Journal, 2018;19-26.
- Armfield JM, Crego A, Schuch HS and Luzzi L
The role of cognitions in short-term temporal changes in dental fear among Australian adults, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 2018; 78(1):32-40.
- Barros AJD, Ewerling F, Victora CG, van Eerdewijk A, Tyszler M and Lynch JW
Measuring women's empowerment: a need for context and caution - authors' reply, Lancet Global Health, 2018; 6(1):e31.
- Chong SY, Chittleborough CR, Gregory T, Lynch J, Mittinty M and Smithers LG
The controlled direct effect of temperament at 2-3 years on cognitive and academic outcomes at 6-7 years, BioRxiv, 2018; doi.org/10.1101/410506.
- De Menezes Caceres V, Stocks N, Adams R, Haag DG, Peres KG, Peres MA and González-Chica DA
Physical activity moderates the deleterious relationship between cardiovascular disease, or its risk factors, and quality of life: Findings from two population-based cohort studies in Southern Brazil and South Australia, PLoS One, 2018; 13(6): e0198769.
- Delfabbro P, Stevenson J, Malvaso C, Duong D, Winefield H, Winefield A and Hammarström A
Who is doing well: Age 15 predictors of psychological and physical health in young adulthood, Australian Psychologist, 2018; doi.org/10.1111/ap.12369.
- Falster K, Hanly M, Banks E, Lynch J, Chambers G, Brownell M, Eades S and Jorm L
Maternal age and offspring developmental vulnerability at age five: A population-based cohort study of Australian children, PLOS Medicine, 2018; 15(4): e1002558.
- Fernandez E, Malvaso C, Day A and Guharajan D
21st century cognitive behavioural therapy for anger: A systematic review of research design, methodology and outcome, Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 2018; 46(4):385-404.
- Gabbe BJ, Dipnall JF, Lynch JW, Rivara FP, Lyons RA, Ameratunga S, Brussoni M, Lecky FE, Bradley C, Simpson PM, Beck B, Demmler JC, Lyons J, Schneeberg A and Harrison JE
Validating injury burden estimates using population birth cohorts and longitudinal cohort studies of injury outcomes: The VIBES-Junior study protocol, BMJ Open, 2018; 8(8): e024755. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2018-024755.
- Gaikwad M, Vanlint S, Moseley GL, Mittinty MN and Stocks N
Factors associated with vitamin D testing, deficiency, intake, and supplementation in patients with chronic pain, Journal of Dietary Supplements, 2018; 15(5):636-648.
- Gialamas A, Kinnell A, Mittinty MN, Davison B, Singh G and Lynch J
Association of anthropometric measures and cardiovascular risk factors in children and adolescents: Findings from the Aboriginal Birth Cohort study, PLoS One, 2018; 13(6):546-550.
- Gould JF, Colombo J, Collins CT, Makrides M, Hewawasam E and Smithers LG
Assessing whether early attention of very preterm infants can be improved by an omega-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid intervention: A follow-up of a randomised controlled trial, BMJ Open, 2018; 8(5):e020043.
- Grzeskowiak LE, Amir LH and Smithers LG
Longer-term breastfeeding outcomes associated with domperidone use for lactation differs according to maternal weight, European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 2018;1-5.
- Grzeskowiak LE, Smithers LG, Amir LH and Grivell RM
Domperidone for increasing breast milk volume in mothers expressing breast milk for their preterm infants: a systematic review and meta-analysis, BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2018; 125(11):1371-1378.
- Grzeskowiak LE, Smithers LG, Grieger JA, Bianco-Miotto T, Leemaqz SY, Clifton VL, Poston L, McCowan LM, Kenny LC and Myers J
Asthma treatment impacts time to pregnancy: evidence from the international SCOPE study, European Respiratory Journal, 2018; 51(2): doi:10.1183/13993003.02035-2017.
- Gupta A, Smithers LG, Braunack-Mayer A and Harford J
How much free sugar do Australians consume? Findings from a national survey, Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 2018;42(6)533-540.
- Gupta A, Smithers LG, Harford J, Merlin T and Braunack-Mayer A
Determinants of knowledge and attitudes about sugar and the association of knowledge and attitudes with sugar intake among adults: A systematic review, Appetite, 2018; doi:10.1016/j.appet.2018.03.019.
- Hanly M, Falster K, Chambers G, Lynch J, Banks E, Homaira N, Brownell M, Eades S and Jorm L
Gestational age and child development at age five in a population-based cohort of Australian Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal children, Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology, 2018; 32(1):114-125.
- Hope S, Pearce A, Chittleborough C, Deighton J, Maika A, Micali N, Mittinty M, Law C and Lynch J
Temporal effects of maternal psychological distress on child mental health problems at ages 3, 5, 7 and 11: analysis from the UK Millennium Cohort Study, Psychological Medicine, 2018; 1-11.
- Lorenzo-Erro SM, Massa F, Alvarez-Vaz R, Schuch HS, Correa MB and Peres MA
The role of contextual and individual factors on periodontal disease in Uruguayan adults, Brazilian Oral Research, 2018; 32.
- MacArthur G, Caldwell DM, Redmore J, Watkins SH, Kipping R, White J, Chittleborough C, Langford R, Er V, Lingam R, et al.
Individual‐, family‐, and school‐level interventions targeting multiple risk behaviours in young people, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2018; (10):doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD009927.pub2.
- Malvaso CG, Delfabbro P and Day A
The maltreatment–offending association: A systematic review of the methodological features of prospective and longitudinal studies, Trauma, Violence, & Abuse, 2018; 19(1):20-34.
- Malvaso CG, Delfabbro PH and Day A
Adverse childhood experiences in a South Australian sample of young people in detention, Australian & New Zealand Journal of Criminology, 2018; doi:10.1177/0004865818810069.
- Malvaso CG, Delfabbro PH, Day A and Nobes G
The maltreatment-violence link: Exploring the role of maltreatment experiences and other individual and social risk factors among young people who offend, Journal of Criminal Justice, 2018; 5535-45.
- Mittinty MM, McNeil DW, Brennan DS, Randall CL, Mittinty MN and Jamieson L
Assessment of pain-related fear in individuals with chronic painful conditions, Journal of Pain Research, 2018; 11:3071-3077.
- Mittinty MM, Vanlint S, Stocks N, Mittinty MN and Moseley GL
Exploring effect of pain education on chronic pain patients' expectation of recovery and pain intensity, Scandinavian Journal of Pain, 2018; 18(2):211-219.
- Moreno-Betancur M, Koplin JJ, Ponsonby AL, Lynch J and Carlin JB
Measuring the impact of differences in risk factor distributions on cross-population differences in disease occurrence: a causal approach, International Journal of Epidemiology, 2018; 47(1):217-225.
- Roesler A, Smithers LG, Winichagoon P, Wangpakapattanawong P and Moore V
Local perspectives and context in relation to feeding practices of children under 2 years in the mountain villages of northern Thailand, Public Health Nutrition, 2018; 21(16);2989-2997.
- Roesler A, Smithers LG, Winichagoon P, Wangpakapattanawong P and Moore V
Healthworkers' and villagers' perceptions of young child health, growth monitoring, and the role of the health system in remote Thailand, Food and Nutrition Bulletin, 2018; 39(4):536-548.
- Roesler AL, Smithers LG, Wangpakapattanawong P and Moore V
Stunting, dietary diversity and household food insecurity among children under 5 years in ethnic communities of northern Thailand, Journal of Public Health (Oxf), 2018; doi: 10.1093/pubmed/fdy201.
- Sawyer ACP, Kaim ALE, Mittinity MN, Jeffs D, Lynch JW and Sawyer MG
Effectiveness of a 2-year post-natal nurse home-visiting programme when children are aged 5 years: Results from a natural experiment, Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 2018; doi: 10.1111/jpc.14348.
- Sawyer MG, Reece CE, Sawyer ACP, Johnson SE, Hiscock H and Lawrence D
Access to health professionals by children and adolescents with mental disorders: Are we meeting their needs?, Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 2018; 52(10):972-982.
- Sawyer MG, Reece CE, Sawyer ACP, Johnson SE and Lawrence D
Has the prevalence of child and adolescent mental disorders in Australia changed between 1998 and 2013 to 2014?, Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 2018; 57(5):343-350.e345.
- Schuch HS, Peres KG, Demarco FF, Horta BL, Gigante DP, Peres MA and Do LG
Effect of life-course family income trajectories on periodontitis: Birth cohort study, Journal of Clinical Periodontology, 2018; 45(4):394-403.
- Smithers LG, Haag DG, Agnew B, Lynch J and Sorell M
Food advertising on Australian television: Frequency, duration and monthly pattern of advertising from a commercial network (four channels) for the entire 2016, Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 2018; 54(9);962-967.
- Smithers LG, Sawyer ACP, Chittleborough CR, Davies NM, Davey Smith G and Lynch JW
A systematic review and meta-analysis of effects of early life non-cognitive skills on academic, psychosocial, cognitive and health outcomes, Nature Human Behaviour, 2018; 2(11):867-880.
- Taylor A, Dal Grande E, Fateh-Moghadam P, Montgomerie A, Battisti L, Barrie H, Kourbelis C and Campostrini S
Comparison of health and risk factors of older, working-age Australians, Italians and Italian-born migrants to Australia, with data from an Italian (PASSI), and an Australian (SAMSS) risk factor surveillance system, Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 2018; 20(5):1190-1196.
- Tuckerman J, Crawford NW, Lynch J and Marshall H
Are children with special risk medical conditions receiving influenza vaccination? Validity of parental and provider report, and to a National Immunisation Register, Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics, 2018; Dec 15;1-8.
- Tuckerman J, Misan S, Salih S, Joseph Xavier B, Crawford NW, Lynch J and Marshall HS
Influenza vaccination: Uptake and associations in a cross-sectional study of children with special risk medical conditions, Vaccine, 2018; 36(52):8138-8147.
- Banham D, Chen T, Karnon J, Brown A and Lynch J
Sociodemographic variations in the amount, duration and cost of potentially preventable hospitalisation for chronic conditions among Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Australians: a period prevalence study of linked public hospital data, BMJ Open, 2017; 7(10):e017331.
- Chong SY, Chittleborough CR, Gregory T, Lynch JW, Mittinty MN and Smithers LG
Associations of parental food-choice control and use of food to soothe with adiposity in childhood and adolescence, Appetite, 2017; 11371-77.
- Conde MCM, Chisini LA, Sarkis-Onofre R, Schuch HS, Nör JE and Demarco FF
A scoping review of root canal revascularization: relevant aspects for clinical success and tissue formation, International Endodontic Journal, 2017; 50(9):860-874.
- Delfabbro P, Winefield H, Winefield A, Malvaso C and Plueckhahn T
Factors associated with attrition in a 10‐year longitudinal study of young people: implications for studies of employment in school leavers, Australian Psychologist, 2017; 52(1):41-51.
- Ewerling F, Lynch JW, Victora CG, van Eerdewijk A, Tyszler M and Barros AJD
The SWPER index for women's empowerment in Africa: development and validation of an index based on survey data, Lancet Global Health, 2017; 5(9):e916-e923.
- Gaikwad M, Vanlint S, Moseley GL, Mittinty MN and Stocks N
Understanding patient perspectives on management of their chronic pain - online survey protocol, Journal of Pain Research, 2017; 1031-35.
- González-Chica DA, Hill CL, Gill TK, Hay P, Haag D and Stocks N
Individual diseases or clustering of health conditions? Association between multiple chronic diseases and health-related quality of life in adults, Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 2017; 15(1):244.
- Gould J, Anderson A, Yelland L, Smithers L, Skeaff M, Zhou J, Gibson R and Makrides M
Association of cord blood vitamin D with early childhood growth and neurodevelopment, Journal of Paediarics and Child Health, 2017; 53(1):75-83.
- Gould JF, Treyvaud K, Yelland LN, Anderson PJ, Smithers LG, McPhee AJ and Makrides M
Seven-year follow-up of children born to women in a randomized trial of prenatal DHA supplementation, Journal of the American Medical Association, 2017; 317(11):1173-1175.
- Grant JF, Chittleborough CR, Shi Z and Taylor AW
The association between A Body Shape Index and mortality: results from an Australian cohort, PLoS One, 2017; 12(7):e0181244.
- Grzeskowiak LE and Smithers LG
Use of domperidone and risk of ventricular arrhythmia in the postpartum period: getting to the heart of the matter, Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, 2017; 26(7):863-864.
- Haag DG, Peres KG, Balasubramanian M and Brennan DS
Oral conditions and health-related quality of life: a systematic review, Journal of Dental Research, 2017; 96(8):864-874.
- Haag DG, Peres KG and Brennan DS
Tooth loss and general quality of life in dentate adults from Southern Brazil, Quality of Life Research, 2017; 26(10):2647-2657.
- Lang CJ, Appleton SL, Vakulin A, McEvoy RD, Vincent AD, Wittert GA, Martin SA, Grant JF, Taylor AW and
Associations of undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnea and excessive daytime sleepiness with depression: an Australian population study, Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 2017; 13(04):575-582.
- Maika A, Mittinty MN, Brinkman S and Lynch J
Associations of early- and later-childhood poverty with child cognitive function in Indonesia: effect decomposition in the presence of exposure-induced mediator-outcome confounding, American Journal of Epidemiology, 2017; 185(10):879-887
- Malvaso C, Day A, Casey S and Corrado R
Young offenders, maltreatment, and trauma: a pilot study, Psychiatry, Psychology and Law, 2017; 24(3):458-469.
- Malvaso CG, Delfabbro PH and Day A
The child protection and juvenile justice nexus in Australia: a longitudinal examination of the relationship between maltreatment and offending, Child Abuse & Neglect, 2017; 64;32-646.
- Malvaso CG, Delfabbro PH and Day A
Child maltreatment and criminal convictions in youth: the role of gender, ethnicity and placement experiences in an Australian population, Children and youth services review, 2017; 7357-65.
- Mittinty MM, Brennan DS, Randall CL, McNeil DW, Mittinty MN and Jamieson L
Influence of fear of pain and coping strategies on health-related quality of life and patient-anticipated outcomes in patients with chronic pain: cross-sectional study protocol, JMIR research protocols, 2017; 6(9):e176.
- Nascimento GG, Peres KG, Mittinty MN, Mejia GC, Silva DA, Gonzalez-Chica D and Peres MA
Obesity and periodontal outcomes: a population-based cohort study in Brazil, Journal of Periodontology, 2017; 88(1):50-58.
- Nascimento GG, Peres MA, Mittinty MN, Peres KG, Do LG, Horta BL, Gigante DP, Correa MB and Demarco FF
Diet-induced overweight and obesity and periodontitis risk: an application of the parametric G-formula in the 1982 Pelotas Birth Cohort, American Journal of Epidemiology, 2017; 185(6):442-451.
- On ZX, Grant J, Shi Z, Taylor AW, Wittert GA, Tully PJ, Hayley AC and Martin S
The association between gastroesophageal reflux disease with sleep quality, depression, and anxiety in a cohort study of Australian men, Journal of gastroenterology and hepatology, 2017; 32(6):1170-1177.
- Peres KG, Nascimento GG, Peres MA, Mittinty MN, Demarco FF, Santos IS, Matijasevich A and Barros AJD
Impact of prolonged breastfeeding on dental caries: a population-based birth cohort study, Pediatrics, 2017; 140(1):e20162943.
- Roscioli E, Hamon R, Ruffin RE, Grant J, Hodge S, Zalewski P and Lester S
BIRC3 single nucleotide polymorphism associate with asthma susceptibility and the abundance of eosinophils and neutrophils, Journal of Asthma, 2017; 54(2):116-124.
- Sawyer MG, Reece CE, Bowering K, Jeffs D, Sawyer ACP, Mittinty M and Lynch JW
Nurse-moderated internet-based support for new mothers: non-inferiority, randomized controlled trial, Journal of Medical Internet Research, 2017; 19(7):e258.
- Sawyer MG, Reece CE, Sawyer ACP, Johnson S, Lawrence D and Zubrick SR
The prevalence of stimulant and antidepressant use by Australian children and adolescents with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder: a national survey, Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, 2017; 27(2):177-184.
- Schuch HS and Giang Do L
School-based oral hygiene education program has long-term positive effects on oral health indicators, Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice, 2017; 17(1):65-67.
- Schuch HS, Haag DG, Kapellas K, Arantes R, Peres MA, Thomson WM and Jamieson LM
The magnitude of Indigenous and non-Indigenous oral health inequalities in Brazil, New Zealand and Australia, Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, 2017; 45(5):434-441.
- Schuch HS, Peres KG, Singh A, Peres MA and Do LG
Socioeconomic position during life and periodontitis in adulthood: a systematic review, Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, 2017; 45(3):201-208.
- Searle AK, Smithers LG, Chittleborough CR, Gregory TA and Lynch JW
Gestational age and school achievement: a population study, Archives of Disease in Childhood-Fetal and Neonatal Edition, 2017; 102(5):F409-F416.
- Simões RC, Goettems ML, Schuch HS, Torriani DD and Demarco FF
Impact of malocclusion on oral health-related quality of life of 8-12 years old schoolchildren in Southern Brazil, Brazilian Dental Journal, 2017; 28(1):105-112.
- Smithers LG, Lynch J, Hedges J and Jamieson LM
Diet and anthropometry at 2 years of age following an oral health promotion programme for Australian Aboriginal children and their carers: A randomised controlled trial, British Journal of Nutrition, 2017; 118(12):1061-1069.
- Smithers LG, Mol BW, Jamieson L and Lynch JW
Cesarean birth is not associated with early childhood body mass index, Pediatric Obesity, 2017; 12 Suppl 1120-124.
- Stockley CS, Taylor AW, Montgomerie A and Dal Grande E
Changes in wine consumption are influenced most by health: results from a population survey of South Australians in 2013, International Journal of Wine Research, 2017; 55(1):13-22.
- Taylor AW, Pilkington R, Dal Grande E, Kourbelis C and Barry H
Health and welfare profile of Australian baby boomers who live in rented accommodation – implications for the future, Ageing and Society, 2017; 1-18.
- Winefield AH, Delfabbro PH, Winefield HR, Duong D and Malvaso C
The psychological effects of unemployment and unsatisfactory employment on young adults: findings from a 10-year longitudinal study, The Journal of Genetic Psychology, 2017; 178(4):246-251.
- Yisma E, Smithers LG, Lynch JW and Mol BW
Cesarean section in Ethiopia: prevalence and sociodemographic characteristics, The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine, 2017; 1-151.