The Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences Peer Mentoring Program provides support to first-year students, while creating a vibrant learning environment within the University of Adelaide community.
What is the Peer Mentoring Program?
The Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences (FHMS) Peer Mentoring Program is designed to provide first-year students with the knowledge and skills to settle into and succeed at university.
Joining our Peer Mentoring Program is an informal way to meet other students, receive important information, engage in activities and events, have your questions answered and receive ongoing peer support.
Our peer mentors know from personal experience what it’s like to be a new student. They are high-performing students, eager to share some ‘insider’ information to help you fit in and feel confident in taking the right steps towards study success.
How does it work?
The program runs in both Semester 1 and Semester 2.
As a commencing student, you will be assigned to a peer mentor group. Through email, face-to-face meetings and activities/events, your mentor(s) will guide you through your first semester at university.
As a continuing student, you can choose to receive further support from your mentor(s) throughout the remainder of your first year. Through your peer mentor group, you will:
- receive timely information and handy hints
- meet new people and establish friendships
- develop a network of supportive peers
- be invited to social events and group study sessions
- increase your awareness of student support services
- have the opportunity to ask questions
- improve your teamwork skills
- gain a sense of belonging at university
- understand the expectations and requirements of life as a university student.
We encourage you to follow our Facebook page, where you’ll be able to keep up with the wider program’s activities, interact with all of our peer mentors and network with other students beginning their university journey.
How do I join the program as a mentee?
If you are a commencing undergraduate student (in your first semester of study), you will automatically be assigned to a mentor group.
Please note that the FHMS Peer Mentoring Program is only available to first-year students, enrolled in an undergraduate FHMS degree. If you do not meet the requirements but would like to know your options for study support, please contact the FHMS Student Support Hub via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I join the program as a mentor?
- currently enrolled in second year or above in a Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences degree?
- demonstrate a GPA of 5.0 or gain a recommendation from your Academic Program Coordinator
- show effective listening, communication and interpersonal skills
- encourage open communication
- engage with a positive attitude
- demonstrate tolerance and an understanding of cultural diversity
- show detailed knowledge of university facilities and services
- demonstrate well-developed time management skills
- respect confidentiality at all times?
Then you are eligible to join the program as a peer mentor! To apply, you will need to complete a peer mentor application form and attend a group interview session to assess your suitability to join the program. Successful applicants will receive training prior to program commencement.
Peer Mentor applications for 2018 are now open.
Still have questions about the Peer Mentoring Program? Send us an email.