The Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences Peer Mentoring Program supports first-year students settle into their studies and the University of Adelaide community.
About the Peer Mentoring Program
The program runs in semester 1 and 2. It is an informal way to meet other students, learn about campus life, engage in activities and events, have your questions answered, and receive ongoing peer support.
Our peer mentors know from personal experience what it’s like to be a new student. They are high-performing students, eager to share ‘insider’ information to guide you through your first semester and help you feel confident in taking the right steps towards study success. Groups meet face-to-face, online and at events/activities.
- receive timely information and handy hints
- develop a network of supportive peers
- be invited to social events and group study sessions
- increase your awareness of student support services
- improve your teamwork skills
- gain a sense of belonging at university.
How do I join the program as a mentee?
If you are a commencing undergraduate student (in your first year of study) join the program; first choose a peer mentor and then register for a peer mentor group.
Please note: The FHMS Peer Mentoring Program is only available to first-year students, enrolled in an undergraduate FHMS degree. If you do not meet the requirements but would like to know your options for study support, please contact the FHMS Student Support Centre via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I join the program as a mentor?
- currently enrolled in second year or above in a Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences degree?
- demonstrate a GPA of at least 5.0 or gain a recommendation from your Academic Program Coordinator
- show effective listening, communication and interpersonal skills
- encourage open communication
- engage with a positive attitude
- demonstrate tolerance and an understanding of cultural diversity
- show detailed knowledge of university facilities and services
- demonstrate well-developed time management skills
- respect confidentiality at all times?
Then you are eligible to join the program as a peer mentor! To apply, you will need to complete a peer mentor application form and attend a group interview session to assess your suitability to join the program. Successful applicants will receive training prior to program commencement.
If you have any questions or would like to register your interest, please send us an email.