Am I Eligible?
Find out if you are eligible to be referred to CTAD.
Criteria for CTAD Referrals
You are welcome to be referred to CTAD if you:
- live in the western suburbs of Adelaide (i.e., north of Anzac Highway, west of Prospect Rd/West Tce)
- attend the University of Adelaide
- work or study in the western suburbs of Adelaide
- require specialist intervention where the leading evidence-based psychological therapy is not provided elsewhere
CTAD may NOT be a choice of treatment for you when:
- You are addicted to drugs or alcohol and are still using these substances. In this case, we recommend addressing this problem before attempting cognitive therapy for anxiety/depression. You can find help from the SA Health website.
- You are regularly deliberately harming yourself. In this case, we recommend you obtain a mental health assessment from a private psychiatrist, psychologist or local community mental health team. There is a specific program called Dialectical Behaviour Therapy that may be especially helpful for you.
- You have difficulty understanding or remembering simple conversations. Please consult with your General Practitioner about obtaining a cognitive assessment to understand the cause of these difficulties.
- You have commenced a new psychiatric medication in the last 3 months and have not yet achieved a stable dose. It can be confusing trying to understand the relationship between your thoughts and emotions if your body is adjusting to medication-related changes. Many of our consumers are taking medication and benefit from CBT, but we simply recommend waiting until your medication has stabilised before beginning CBT. Caution: If you are on taking benzodiazepine medication (e.g., Valium, Karma/Xanax) and you have difficulties with concentration or memory, you should discuss these with your General Practitioner before attempting CBT.
If you are not eligible to attend CTAD, you may consider seeking assistance from other services. You can search for a suitable service using Find a Psychologist.
Conditions Treated at CTAD
CTAD specialises in the treatment of:
- Major Depressive Disorder and Persistent Depressive Disorder
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Illness Anxiety Disorder
- Panic Disorder
- Specific Phobias