Honours Degrees in the School of Paediatrics & Reproductive Health
Welcome to the Honours course in the Discipline of Paediatrics and the Discipline of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, in the School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health. We hope that the coming year will present you with rewarding challenges and valuable training toward your chosen career. You will be exposed to and encouraged to develop interests in a broad range of child health and reproduction related science. The skills you will acquire during Honours are applicable to success in most professional career paths.
The intent of the program is to develop specific knowledge and skills in the student’s chosen research field as well as general skills in working independently, critical reasoning, scientific writing and presentation.
Aims of the Honours Program
· Conceive, develop and execute, under the guidance of their supervisor, an original approach to answer a novel research question.
· Demonstrate an appreciation of and an ability to apply the scientific method.
· Master basic research techniques and demonstrate rigorous and methodical maintenance of records, and collection, storage and analysis of experimental data.
· Demonstrate critical capacity to identify and evaluate problems and define the important elements to solve them.
· Communicate scientific information clearly and concisely in written and spoken English.
2010 Course Information
The School Honours 2010 Handbook contains the full details of the Honours program. Candidature for the Honours Degree is subject to the Academic Program Rules (Faculty of Health Sciences)
For students commencing Semester 1, 2010 the course commences on 1 February, 2010. Places are still available for Semester 2, 2010. Please see information for prospective Honours students.
All students who are currently enrolled in Honours in the School should use MyUni to access updated information, course material and notices.
Current students with enquiries concerning their studies should use the following contacts:
Dr Cheryl Shoubridge (Honours Coordinator for Discipline of Paediatrics)
Dr Kathy Gatford (Honours Coordinator for Discipline of Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
Casey Campleman (School Student Support Officer)