Statistical support for Faculty researchers includes:
- assisting with the design of health-related research
- power and sample size calculations
- advising research staff and postgraduate students on statistical aspects of research programs
- providing advice about cleaning and maintaining datasets and preparing data for analysis
- providing advice about data analysis and manuscript preparation
- undertaking analysis of data as part of research projects and programs
To be eligible for free statistical support, a client must be either a member of staff, or an affiliate staff member, of the Faculty, or a PhD, MD or Masters by research student currently enrolled in the Faculty.
The statistical work must be directly related to either
- a paper for publication where at least one author gives the University of Adelaide as their institutional affiliation
- a research grant administered through the University of Adelaide
- research undertaken for a postgraduate student's thesis.
For information on consulting services and to make an appointment with a statistician, please contact Rebecca Gross. Please note that most requests take approximately 2-3 weeks and can take longer depending on data formatting and other considerations..
Staff and students at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital should contact Stuart Howell for statistical support
- Terms & Conditions
Obtaining ongoing financial support for the service is essential for its long-term sustainability. During the preparation of research funding applications by staff, there will be no charge for services. However, we ask that staff seek financial support for their statistical needs in their applications. Subsequent statistical support will need to utilize this source of funds.
Postgraduate students will be provided with a limited number of hours of consulting services 'free of charge'. However, where extensive services are required, it may be necessary to charge the student's supervisors at a 'cost-recovery' rate. Supervisors should clarify with the statistical services the extent of assistance that should be offered to their student from two perspectives:
- financial resources available for the student should the services exceed reasonable levels
- supervisor's expectation of the relative contributions that their student and the statistician should make to the thesis
Supervisors are encouraged to attend the first meeting of the statistical service and their student.
Statistical support is provided by the Data, Design and Statistics Service of Adelaide Health Technology Assessment.