Faculty Health, Safety & Wellbeing
The Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences is committed to providing and maintaining the highest possible standard of health, safety and wellbeing for its employees and students while they are at work.
The Faculty recognises its duty of care under the Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (SA) and the Work Health and Safety Regulations 2012 (SA) which is to ensure so far as is reasonably practicable that employees, students and visitors, while at work within the University, are safe from injury and risks to health.
The Faculty HSW Coordinators are
Office: 8313 0279
Office: 8313 5194
Office: 8313 0094
You can find more information on the Faculty and University's HSW policies and procedures on the Faculty Intranet HSW Website.
- Emergency Contacts and Procedures
If there is a life threatening emergency, phone (0) 000.
If the emergency situation is not life-threatening, phone (831) 35444
- ECON (Emergency Control Organisation Network) Flow Chart
Emergency Control Organisation Network (ECON) First Aiders (FAs) Chief Warden / Deputy Chief Warden Floor Wardens Senior First Aid Training (External Provider) Chief Warden Training (External Provider) Warden Training Level 1 (External Provider) Warden Training - Level 2 (Fire Extinguisher). Held onsite after evacuation drills
If you require any of these training, please contact Faculty HSW Coordinators.
- Fire Emergency & Warden Register
Emergency Personnel - Warden Register
For an up-to-date list of fire wardens, read the Faculty Fire Wardens Register.
In the Event of Fire / Smoke
1) ALERT other occupants in immediate danger.
2) Extinguish fire if trained and it is safe to do so. Contain the fire - close the door.
3) NOTIFY your Warden, Security and/or Fire Service.
4) FOLLOW directions given by your Warden.
5) EVACUATE the area using the nearest safest exit.
6) DO NOT use the lift.
7) PROCEED to designated Assembly Area.
Await instructions from the Wardens or Emergency Services at the Assembly Area. Do not re-enter building until instructed to do so.
1) Get your workplace ready to be left unattended - save data and shut down computers, turn off gas and electrical equipment.
2) Take personal belongings (keys, wallet, purse, etc).
3) Proceed via safest route to the Assembly Area.
4) DO NOT use lift.
5) Obey all directions from Wardens.
6) Await instructions from the Wardens or Emergency Services at the Assembly Area. Do not re-enter building until instructed to do so.
- Medical Emergency and First Aider Register
First Aid and CPR
- For an up to date list of staff trained in first aid and CPR, please read the Faculty First Aider Register.
Other Medical Emergency
On discovery of a person who requires immediate medical attention:
1) Call for assistance from others in the area.
2) Check for Danger in the area (eg electrical faults, dangerous objects).
3) Contact Ambulance Service. Advise location and nature of emergency (if known).
4) If trained, commence resuscitation or any other treatment warranted until help arrives.
5) Notify first aiders who work in the area.
6) Notify Campus Security.
7) Stay with person until help arrives.