Continuing Professional Development
We offer a Continuing Professional Development program tailored specifically to meet the needs of all dental practitioners.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) became compulsory for dentists, prosthetists, dental hygienists, dental therapists and oral health practitioners/therapists as a result of the introduction of new national legislation. Practitioners in these categories are now required to complete 60 hours of CPD every three years and 80% of those hours must be scientific/clinical. The remainder of the hours may be non-scientific. For details of requirements please refer to the CPD practice guideline of the Dental Board of Australia.
The School aims to provide CPD to all members of the dental team (including dental assistants, laboratory assistants, practice managers and laboratory managers) through a variety of face-to-face and online courses. If there is a topic or course you would like to see presented please email us on email@example.com.
CPD Featured Event
The feature event for this year will be a one day Dental Practice Update for all members of the dental team at the Adelaide Convention Centre on the 7 August 2015. The day will feature international and national presenters and a trade exhibition.
Interest in courses and topics can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. A register of enquiries is kept. Email enquiries are preferred at this time and are being responded to within one working day.
Online Professional Development
Online professional development in the area of preventive dentistry is currently provided by the Dental Practice Education Research Unit within the Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health and this program is known as the Colgate Online Continuing Professional Development Program.
Online professional development in other areas of practice will be made available over the coming year.
Continuing Professional Development Day Courses
|Medical Emergencies in Dental Practice||13 March|
|Restorative Update: Advances in Caries Management and Repair||1 May|
|Direct and Chairside Composite Resin Restorations||18 May|
|Paediatric Pulptomies & Stainless Steel Crowns||20 June|
|Crown and Bridge: Simple, Practical and Predictable||26 June|
|Dental Practice Update||7 August|
|Should we save this tooth? Extracting evidence||28 August|
|First Aid and CPD for Dental Personnel||4 September|
|Periodontal Instrumentation Workshop||19 September|
|Update for Effective Prosthodontics||25 September|
|Update for Effective Prosthodontics – Hands on Workshop||26 September|
|Planning for success in Removable Prosthodontics||16 October|
Continuing Professional Development Evening Courses
|Endodontic and Restorative Solution Dentsply Product Showcase||Postponed
|Nitrous Oxide Inhalation||30 April|
|When disasters come to the dental chair||24 June|
|Understanding Blood Tests in Dental Practice||16 September|
|Root Canal Irrigation||25 November|
An advisory panel was established to provide the Director of CPD advice, assistance and strategies to advance CPD via the School to the wider community.
Members of the Advisory Panel are:
- Greg Hamlyn - Dental Technician representative
- Associate Professor James Dudley - School of Dentistry, The University of Adelaide
- Ms Tracey Hood - Australian Dental and Oral Health Therapists’ Association (SA/NT)
- Dr Richard Huebl - Dental Research and Education Fund
- Mr Joseph Spencer – Australian Dental Prosthetists’ Association (SA)
- Dr Troy Longbottom - TAFESA Centre for Dental Studies
- Dr Eleanore Owen - Australian Dental Association (SA Branch) Inc
- Kate Hodgson - Australian Dental Industry Association
- Dr Bronwyn Scopacasa - SA Dental Service
- Margie Steffens - School of Dentistry, University of Adelaide
- Alison Taylor - Dental Hygienists’ Association of Australia (SA Branch) Inc
- Professor Johann de Vries - Ex officio School of Dentistry, University of Adelaide
- Associate Professor Janet Fuss - Ex officio School of Dentistry, University of Adelaide