Colgate Australian Clinical Dental Research Centre (CACDRC)
The overall objectives of the Centre are to:
- evaluate the performance of dental materials and treatment, both in the clinic and the laboratory;
- investigate new materials and techniques;
- encourage practising dentists to participate in clinical and laboratory research of dental materials;
- provide an active, interesting and attractive scientific environment in which international researchers can participate;
- liaise with the dental industry
Oral Malodour Clinic
With the generous support from Colgate Palmolive (Piscataway, USA) the CACDRC has purchased a state-of-the-art portable gas chromatograph for the assessment of halitosis. Our OralChroma unit is the first to be imported into Australia and trials have commenced into its use for halitosis assessment.The principal studies for us will revolve around assessing various products for their effectiveness in minimising oral malodor from agents such as H2S, CH3SH and (CH3)2S.This machine evaluates levels of hydrogen sulfide, methyl mercaptan and dimethyl sulfide and displays the concentrations through a computer terminal. Each of the three component gases and the measured concentrations can be correlated with a specific cause of halitosis.
Specific parameters to be assessed will include:
- relationship between length of use of product and effect on oral malodor
- effect of product on bacteria in saliva and correlation with malodor
- effect of product on gingival/periodontal condition and correlation with malodor
In addition to the research, we are happy to provide a diagnostic and consultative service for any persons suffering from halitosis. For a halitosis assessment appointment please call 8313 3437.
Clinical Evaluation Unit
The Clinical Evaluation Unit is a dedicated facility for clinical treatment and evaluation in controlled studies. Its primary objectives are to:
- carry out clinical evaluation of newly developed materials and techniques;
- investigate the performance of treatment methods;
- perform cost benefit analysis of treatments;
- conduct controlled clinical trials and multi-practice trials;
- generate multimedia for use and dissemination.
Clinical treatment services (both routine and emergency) are now available for University staff, students and the public at the Colgate Australian Clinical Dental Research Centre (CACDRC). Details of our practitioners are available on the Professional Suites page.